1. Never lose money. Rule No. 2: Never forget rule No. 1.

Never lose money

Be humble like Buffett in looking for opportunities to get more value at less cost.

Get High Value at a Low Price

Work on building positive money habits and break the ones that hurt your wallet, Buffett said.

Healthy Money Habit

Avoid debt, especially credit card debt "The interest rates on credit cards are too high," "The interest rates on credit cards are too high,"

Avoid Debt, Especially Credit Card Debt

Buffett said, "Cash to a business is like oxygen to a person: as long as we have it we don't have to think about it. When it's absent it's the only thing on our minds." "When bills are due, cash is the only valid currency, and don't leave home without it."

Keep Cash On Hand

Buffett said, "Invest as much as possible in yourself. You are your greatest asset you will ever own." Those returns are bigger, too. Whatever you invest in yourself, you get back tenfold. And unlike other assets and investments, "nobody can tax it" they can't steal it from you."

Invest In Yourself

Part of investing in yourself should be learning more about money management. As an investor, much of Buffett's work involves limiting exposure and minimizing risk.

Learn About Money

Trust a Low-Cost Index Fund for Your Portfolio

Trust a Low-Cost Index Fund for Your Portfolio

Buffett once said, "If you're in the luckiest 1% of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99%."

Give Back

Buffett once said, "Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." And it's true. Planting and nurturing the seeds of financial success now will lead to shade to enjoy later in life.

View Money as a Long-Term Game